What is the Hunger Mountain Creative Nonfiction Prize?
An annual contest for the best writing in the boundless field of creative nonfiction. A chance for your creative nonfiction to be read by Hunger Mountain editors and guest judges!
What will the winner receive?
One first place winner receives $1000 and publication!
Two honorable mentions receive $100 each.
Who can enter the contest?
Who is this yearâ€™s judge?
The 2010 judge is Melissa Febos, author of Whip Smart.
When is the deadline?
The postmark deadline is September 10th.
Where are last yearâ€™s winning entries?
Right here! Click to read â€śBirds Have Eyesâ€ť by Valerie Arvidson, chosen by Robin Hemley.
Or here! Click to read runner-up Afterlife by Susan Southard, chosen by Robin Hemley.
Does Hunger Mountain accept electronic entries?
Yes! Please read all entry guidelines first. Then enter using our online submission manager. When the submission manager asks you to choose a genre, please choose Hunger Mountain Creative Nonfiction Prize. Thatâ€™s how weâ€™ll know that your essay is a prize entry, and not just a general submission.
Does Hunger Mountain still accept entries via snail mail?
Yes! Please read all entry guidelines. Youâ€™ll find Hunger Mountainâ€™s address below.
What are the guidelines?
* $20 entry fee. Make checks payable to â€śVermont College of Fine Artsâ€ť or pay with a credit card on paypal (scroll to bottom of page for Paypal link)
* Entries must be postmarked by September 10th
* Submit one piece of creative nonfiction, not to exceed 10,000 words
* Writing must be original, written in English, and previously unpublished
* Your name or address should not appear anywhere on the essay
* You may submit through the mail or online using the Hunger Mountain online submission manager
* If you send your entry in the mail, enclose an index card with essay title and your name, address, phone number, and email address
* If you send your entry in the mail, enclose an SASE for notification of winners
* You may also enclose a postage-paid postcard for acknowledgement of entry (if youâ€™d like)
* Entries must be typed, double-spaced, and on one side of the paper only
* Use a paper clip or send unboundâ€”no staples or binding, please
* Once submitted, entries cannot be altered
* All entries will be considered for general publication as well as for the CNF Prize
* No artwork or translations please
* Simultaneous submissions are okay, but we canâ€™t refund entry fees if the work is accepted elsewhere
* Multiple entries allowedâ€”each entry must include a separate entry fee
* No entries will be returned
* Email email@example.com
if questions arise
To submit online, go to the Hunger Mountain online submission manager.
To submit via the mail, send Creative Nonfiction Entries to:
Vermont College of Fine Arts
36 College Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
Include a check for $20.00 payable to â€śHunger Mountainâ€ť or pay using a credit card on paypal.http://www.hungermtn.org/http://www.hungermtn.org/hunger-mount ... reative-nonfiction-prize/
Click on the link above and go to the contest official site