The prize for the 2011 competition is a $1000 cash award, publication, ten books, and a reading at The Hudson Valley Writers' Center.
At the discretion of the judges, a second chapbook may be selected for publication with an award of $250.
SHP uses a blind judging system and subscribes to the CLMP contest code of ethics.
- 2011 GUIDELINES -
* The Slapering Hol Press Chapbook Competition is open to all writers who have not yet published a collection of poems in book or chapbook form.
* Individual poems can be previously published, but poems should not have been published as a group in any form, including self-published collections.
* Manuscripts may be either a collection of poems or one long poem and should be a minimum of 16 pages and a maximum of 20 pages (not including the title page, table of contents, or cover sheet).
* All poems should be single spaced and typed in size 12, Times New Roman font. Handwritten manuscripts will not be considered.
* Manuscripts should include a title page (bearing only the title of the manuscript), a table of contents, a separate cover sheet with the title of the work, the author's name, address, phone number, email address, bio, and acknowledgments, and a completed SHP Manuscript Submission Form.
* Entrants names should not appear anywhere on the manuscript except for the cover sheet.
* Each manuscript should include a title page. This should only have the title of the collection on it and should come before the poems and after the cover sheet.
* Each manuscript should be accompanied by a $15 reading fee. Poets may submit more than one collection, but a $15 reading fee must accompany each entry. Please make checks payable to The Hudson Valley Writers' Center.
* If requested, a copy of a previous published SHP chapbook (chosen by SHP) will be sent to the entrant provided an 8x10 envelope with $1.82 in postage is sent in with the contest manuscript.
* Enclose a self-addressed, stamped (44 cents) envelope for results only. If you would like a notification of receipt of manuscript, include a self-addressed and stamped postcard.
* The reading period for the 2011 competition begins on February 15, 2011. Entries must be postmarked by May 15, 2011. Submissions will only be considered if received between those dates.
* The author of the winning manuscript will be announced in September 2011.
Send entries to:
Slapering Hol Press Chapbook Competition
The Hudson Valley Writers' Center
300 Riverside Drive
Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591http://www.writerscenter.org/http://www.writerscenter.org/shpcompetition.html
Click on the link above and go to the contest official site