If you like to write horror stories then here's your chance to enter Dark Moon Book's newest short story contest and possibily get your short story published in our second anthology: Dark Moon Anthologies Presents: MONSTERS!
Dark Moon Books (an imprint of Stony Meadow Publishing) is sponsoring is now announcing it is accepting entries to this contest. The contest is open to all writers, whether published or unpublished, and we are looking forward to reading some great short stories!
RULE #1: (And this is perhaps the most important rule) Your short story must be a horror story! (That doesn't mean it can't be humorous. We love a good twist in our horror stories!)
RULTE #2: Your story must be about a specific monster. You can use any of the established type monsters (i.e. vampires, zombies, werewolves, etc.), an esoteric monster you've found in your internet serches (i.e. balrogs, gwomels, krakens. etc.) or, even better -- come up with a new and improved monster of your own creation. (In fact, a special prize will be given for the creation of a new monster even if we don't publish your story in the anthology!)
The story style does not matter. It can be a straight slasher type story (although we have to admit right up front, those are not our favorites) or a humorous short story. But most importantly, it must be an entertaining horror short story. We must want to turn that next page to say what happens next in the story and how things end.
Here are the rest of the rules:
* Due to the amount of entries in our first contest, we are charging a minimal entry fee of $5.00 for this contest in order to cut out some of the less serious authors. Payment can be made by credit card, check or money order. Info available on the entry page for this contest.
* All horror short stories must be submitted by the author holding the copyright. (If your short story is not copyrighted, don't worry. Copyright laws protect your work from the moment you started writing it.)
* Your horror short story must be previously unpublished in print format. (Online publication is okay as long as you hold the copyright and are not bound by exclusivity to any person, party or website.)
* By submitting your horror story, you authorize us to use the work as promotional content as needed. You also give Stony Meadow Publishing and Dark Moon Books First North American Serial Rights if we decide to publish your story in the anthology. (Check here for more information on copyrights.) All other rights remain yours. We only desire single time use rights.
* All submitted short stories should be at least 2,000 words and should not be longer than about 6,000 words. This is not a strict guideline, but anything differing from these figures should be the exception rather than the rule.
* Once again, all short stories need to be monster-oriented.
* Please submit no more than four short stories.
* You may withdraw your short story from consideration at any point before the April 10, 2010 contest end date, but this request must be made in writing.
* Entrants selected as finalists for the contest will be notified by May 30, 2010.
* Submit all entries through our portal page available here.
Winners of the Dark Moon Anthology Monster! Short Story Writing Contest will be announced within 6 weeks after the contest closes.
Prizes are as follows:
* 1st Prize: $100 and publication as the winning entry in Dark Moon Anthology: Monsters!
* 2nd Prize: $50 and publication in Dark Moon Anthology: Monsters!
* 3rd Prize: $25 and publication in Dark Moon Anthology: Monsters!
* Special Prize for most original, new monster: $50.
All other stories selected for Dark Moon Anthology: Monsters! will receive a copy of the book upon publication. (No other remuneration will be provided.) We expect to include about 12-15 short stories depending on story length, etc.
Please send all questions and inquiries to StonyMeadowBooks@aol.com
. DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR STORIES VIA E-MAIL. All manuscripts must submitted through our portal page. We will also accept questions and queries by snail mail (Dark Moon Books, Stony Meadow Publishing, 1690 Dunn Avenue #619, Daytona Beach, FL 32114). Phone inquiries accepted at 386-366-0109.http://www.horrorwritingcontest.com/http://www.horrorwritingcontest.com/M ... s_Short_Story_Contest.htm
Click on the link above and go to the contest official site