NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Contest may only be entered in or from the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and entries originating from any other jurisdiction are not eligible for entry. This Contest is governed exclusively by the laws of the United States. You are not authorized to participate in the Contest if you are not located within the United States.
1. How to Enter. To enter the Contest, go to http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Paul ... e-Unknown/192391090786301
, select the Contest tab which hosts the application (â€śContest appâ€ť), complete the entry form (including your name, birth date, state, and email address), read the Official Rules attach/upload your story (each a â€śStoryâ€ť and collectively â€śStoriesâ€ť) in accordance with the Story Requirements below and click the â€śsubmitâ€ť button. All entry information and Stories shall be collectively referred to herein as the â€śSubmissionsâ€ť or each as a â€śSubmission.â€ť Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of entries are received that meet the minimum judging criteria.
By entering the Contest, each entrant warrants and represents the following with respect to entrantâ€™s Submission: (a) entrant is the sole and exclusive owner and copyright holder of the Submission; (b) the Submission is entrantâ€™s own creation and is 100% original; Â© the Submission does not infringe any trademark, trade name, trade secret, intellectual property right, or other common law or statutory right of any third party; and/or (d) the Submission does not contain any material that might be deemed offensive or obscene, or that otherwise violates any criminal prohibition or the personal or proprietary rights of any person or entity. All Submissions will be reviewed before being publicly posted for Public Voting. Submissions that do not comply with these Official Rules may be disqualified by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion. Any liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense incurred by Sponsor as a result of an entrantâ€™s violation of these terms will be the responsibility of the entrant.
All entrants must have a valid email address. Entries limited to one per person. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. All entries, including Submissions, become the sole and exclusive property of the Sponsor and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, postage-due, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only fully completed entry forms are eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Submissions can only be accepted through the Contest app. No email or other physical submissions will be accepted for entry into this Contest. By participating, entrants grant to the Sponsor a royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to (i) use the entry Submission (including Story) on the Contest app and Paul Malmont.com (the Website) and, if selected as the winner, in the United States Simon & Schuster-published paperback version of The Astounding, The Amazing, and The Unknown, and (ii) to use the entrantâ€™s name and address (limited to City and State) for purposes of advertising and promotion on the Contest app, Website and in the paperback.
Story Requirements: Stories must complete the story that that is started in the book â€śThe Astounding, The Amazing, and The Unknownâ€ť by Paul Malmont.
- Stories must begin with the words â€śThe robot felt.â€ť
- Stories must end with the words â€śIn the end, the robot felt nothing. He wasnâ€™t programmed to.â€ť
- Stories must be no more than 2,000 words long.
- Stories must not have been previously published, and must not have been entered into any other contest or won any other awards.
2. Start/End Dates. Story submission period begins at 12:01:00 a.m. Eastern Time (â€śETâ€ť) on May 21, 2011 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET, on July 4, 2011 (â€śSubmission Periodâ€ť). Public voting will begin on July 5, 2011 at 12:00:00 a.m. ET and end on July 15, 2011 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET (Public Voting Periodâ€ť). Finalist judging will begin on July 16, 2011 at 12:00:00 a.m. ET and end on July 20, 2011 at 12:59:59 p.m. ET (â€śFinalist Voting Period).
3. Eligibility. Participation open only to legal residents of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia who are at least 21 years old as of date of entry. Void outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Employees, officers and directors of Simon & Schuster, Inc. (â€śSponsorâ€ť), The Paul Malmont Team and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, dealers, advertising and promotion agencies, manufacturers or distributors of Contest materials and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter. You are not authorized to participate in the Contest if you are not located within the United States or the District of Columbia. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
4. Public Voting: All eligible Submissions will be judged by the public during the Public Voting Period (defined above). During the Public Voting Period, Submissions will be judged by the public based on the following equally-weighted judging criteria (â€śPublic Voting Criteriaâ€ť): (a) entertainment value; and (b) most likely to purchase this Story. The five (5) highest scoring Submissions based on the Public Voting Criteria (each a â€śFinalistâ€ť) will move on to the Finalist Voting Round below (subject to confirmation). In the event of a tie, a panel of judges who are selected at the Sponsorâ€™s discretion will determine the Finalists based on the Public Voting Criteria.
To vote for a Submission, go to the Contest app (http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Paul ... e-Unknown/192391090786301
) and select a Submission based on the Public Voting Criteria. Limit one (1) vote per day of the Public Voting Period. For purposes of the Contest, a â€śvoteâ€ť means a vote cast on the Contest app by a â€śunique voterâ€ť. A â€śunique voterâ€ť is an individual person (a) who has registered on the Contest app and (b) with unique registration information (i.e., email address) that is not duplicative of another voter. A unique voter may vote no more than once each day for a unique recording. Multiple voters are not permitted to share the same email address. Any attempt by any voter to submit more than the stated number of votes by using multiple/different email addresses, identities or any other method will void that voterâ€™s vote. The use of robotic or automatic devices for voting is prohibited, and Sponsor reserves the right to nullify any and all such votes and to disqualify from voting the responsible individual. If the Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion, that an abuse of the â€śunique voterâ€ť rule has occurred, the Sponsor may disqualify votes cast by such voters or contestants, including if more than 5 of such voters or contestants registered from the same computer â€śIP addressâ€ť.
5. Finalist Voting Round/Judging/Judging Criteria. Subject to verification and compliance with these Official Rules, the five (5) Finalists will move on to the Finalist Voting Round. In the event that there are less than five (5) Submissions, all Submissions will move to the Finalist Voting Round. Finalist Submissions will be judged by Paul Malmont and three (3) judges selected by him that have the required knowledge and experience to apply the Judging Panel Criteria below. All Finalist Submissions will be judged based on the following equally-weighted judging criteria (â€śJudging Panel Criteriaâ€ť): (a) professional quality, (b) compelling narrative; and Â© originality. The highest scoring Finalist Submission based on the Judging Panel Criteria will be deemed the Grand Prize Winner, subject to verification.
Judges reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any Submissions that are inappropriate for any reason, including without limitation, for depicting or mentioning sex, violence, drugs, alcohol and/or inappropriate language.
By entering the Contest, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
6. Prizes. One (1) Grand Prize. The Grand Prize Winner may have the opportunity to have, in Sponsorâ€™s sole and absolute discretion, his/her Story printed under his/her name at the end of the Simon & Schuster-published United States paperback version of the book â€śThe Astounding, the Amazing and the Unknownâ€ť (the â€śBookâ€ť). In addition, the winner will receive two copies of the paperback Book, signed by Paul Malmont. Total approximate retail value of all prizes combined: $40. Prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions. In the case of unavailability of any prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded to anyone else, entrant or otherwise. All unspecified expenses are the responsibility of winners.
7. Notification. One winner will be chosen on or about July 22, 2011. All potential winners will be notified by e-mail and will be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and/or rights transfer document within seven (7) days of prize notification. No changes may be made to these Agreements. Additionally, winners may be required to obtain releases from any and all third parties appearing in their respective Submissions. If any winner is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity and rights transfer document must be signed by his/her parent or legal guardian. If any winner cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Contest rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and may be awarded, at the judgeâ€™s discretion, to the Submission with the next highest score. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Winner acknowledges that s/he will not be compensated for the Prize.
8. Conditions. Sponsor shall not be liable or responsible in the event winnerâ€™s Submission is not used for any reason. Submissions may be cut, edited, reformatted, rearranged, combined with other materials and/or otherwise modified, in Sponsorâ€™s sole and absolute discretion. Any and all federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Participation in Contest and acceptance of prize constitutes each winnerâ€™s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information, Submission and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Contest or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, The Paul Malmont Team or Facebook, Inc., and their respective partners and promotion and advertising agencies and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively, the â€śReleased Entitiesâ€ť), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property-related cause of action. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with this Contest in any way shall be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible if Contest cannot take place or if prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
9. Additional Terms. Any attempted form of entry other than as set forth in Section 1 above is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. The Released Entities are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit oneâ€™s ability to enter the Contest, including any injury or damage to participantâ€™s or any other personâ€™s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading any materials in this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Contest should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, Sponsor may select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or web site. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. Limitation of Liability; Disclaimer of Warranties. IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE AND/OR THE CONTEST, DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM ANY WEBSITES ASSOCIATES WITH THE CONTEST. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE RELEASED ENTITIESâ€™ TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, OR CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED $10. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED â€śAS ISâ€ť WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
11. Disputes; Governing Law. The parties waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Contest. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of New York, City of New York.
THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE INTERPRETATION OF ITS TERMS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES. For any matters which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these Official Rules and/or the Contest, the parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in or closest to the County of New York in the State of New York. The parties agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens.
13. Name of Winner. To obtain the name of winner, e-mail your request to email@example.com
after September 30, 2011.
14. Sponsor. Simon & Schuster, Inc., 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020.
The Promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Sponsor and not to Facebook.http://www.paulmalmont.com/http://www.paulmalmont.com/contest
Click on the link above and go to the contest official site